Search Box Policy
This document will specify the implementation guidelines for offering a searchbox on your own application and/or website that you integrate any of CodeFuel’s proprietary technology and web search services (the “CodeFuel services ”)
These guidelines are a supplement to your contract with ClientConnect Ltd., d/b/a CodeFuel (the “Agreement”). These guidelines are not intended to replace or derogate from any of your obligations in the Agreement; but rather, are intended to provide guidance as to how and what you are allowed to do with CodeFuel Technology pursuant to the Agreement and in accordance with common industry practices. These guidelines are not an exhaustive list and CodeFuel is entitled to use its discretion when evaluating your application/website and may replace/edit/expand the guidelines at any time.
2. Technical information
2.1. General info
- The searchbox layout won’t be affected if the user resizes the page.
- Referred the searchbox style will be written as an inline style as part of the search HTML tags to avoid it being overridden by the publisher’s page where the searchbox control is hosted.
- The searchbox images are cached behind CDN to improve user experience by decreasing the loading response time.
- The code for the searchbox given here supports web pages without the need to enter “DOCTYPE” at the top, although it is recommended.
2.2. Searchbox behavior
Simple searchbox can be used for sites/ applications that redirect (via CodeFuel’s designated URL) to its Search Provider SERP or allows you to host the SERP on your site when a user executes a search.
There are few ways to execute a search request:
- If there is a query term in the searchbox, clicking the logo would execute a search and loads a Search Result page .
- If there is a query term in the searchbox, clicking the spyglass would take a user to a search result page If users hit a Search Button
- If the user clicks “Enter”, this will provide a search request that includes the user’s search term and redirects the search request to the search engine within all the necessary search URL parameters.
- If the user provides an empty search request, the user will stay on the same search page and won’t be redirected to the SERP.
- Helper text shown in search box before user’s types in the input-box is recommended Tooltips required:
- Tool Tip – Hover over the searchbox shows the tip “Search for”
- Tool Tip – Hover over the spyglass shows the tip “Search”
The SERP searchbox:
- Best practices regarding SERP Search box can be found at https://legal-pages.hub.codefuel.com/serp-best-practices/ ⇒ The SERP search Box chapter.
- Font in the searchbox is small/normal or 16px Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, Sans-Serif
- Color of text is R163 G163 B163 (#A3A3A3)
2.3. Code sample
2.4. Verticals searches implementation
Note that all the above parameters are a MUST in order to track the searches. See details below:
- q= the search term that user type inside the search box
- GD= tracking unique identifier. For each implementation use different GID value
- searchsource = Search assets search source, indicate the source of the search
- UM=6, defines user mode in CodeFuel/Search fuel system. a dark color backgrounds.
3. Bing branding
You may not integrate a Bing brand into your website/applications Search box without obtaining the CodeFuel’s prior written approval. If you got such an approval you need to fulfil with Microsoft Bing branding guidelines:
4. Search Homepage/ New Tab look & feel
|Header||Verticals (Web, Images, Videos, news)||No|
|Search box||Search box||Yes|
|Search Box with Bing branding UI||1. Bing logo
2. Bing icon
3. Magnifying Glass
(if included, must meet the following guidelines & instructions:
Minimize Size: 50 px
Authorized colors as mention above.
|Auto suggest listing||Suggest listing||No|
|Search Box UI||Magnifying Glass||No|
|Content / Ads||Banners or any other content||No|
2. About us (should include company’s main office physical address; phone number and email address, Fax number is optional.)
3. Term of use or End User License Agreement (As applicable)
4. Contact us
5. Copyright info
Order of the links is not important as long as all info included
|New Tab page link||Restore New tab link||No|
There are two types of searchboxes for a Bing-powered search experience in the user interface:
- Simple searchbox where only Web search is available
- Multi-search engine searchbox where several verticals are available as in:
– A drop-down list. (If you use the drop-down option, allow 10 px of space around the drop-down arrow for visual prominence).
4.2. Helper text
You may include a helper text inside the searchbox with the following text:
- “Search with Bing”.
- Font in the Bing searchbox should follow the guidelines in this document and the illustrations below.:
4.3. Bing spyglass icon
4.4. SpyGlass Logo
4.5. Live Demo Link
5. Legal Guidelines
- You may not integrate a searchbox on your applications unless you own the applications or are legally licensed to do so.
- Your website/applications have to be in compliance (and not violate) Microsoft’s standard advertising editorial guidelines as applicable to you in your local geographic market. A current copy of such guidelines, as applicable in the United States, is available at http://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/bing-ads-policies
- You may not integrate a searchbox on your website/applications without obtaining the CodeFuel’s prior written approval.
- You may not use a different HTML code than the code provided in this document without obtaining the CodeFuel’s prior written approval.
- You may only make the searchbox available to users following CodeFuel written approval. To obtain approval, please provide CodeFuel with the following: URLS and written description (including screen shots) of all scenarios in which users may reach the application/website page to generate a search. Also provide the following:
- Install & Uninstall flows, as applicable
- Required Browser Setting Disclosure (available search engines)
- For any browser, make sure to label the search engine as: “Powered by Bing”.
- Use only icons that you have the right to use and that were approved by CodeFuel. Alternatively, you may use the icon provided to you by CodeFuel.
- Online access to the application/website to review the implementation of the searchbox.
CodeFuel may review your implementation of the searchbox from time to time. Upon such a request, you will be asked to implement the necessary changes immediately, otherwise your account may be suspended. In cases of a violation of these guidelines, you will forfeit all the searches related to the violation
Please note that CodeFuel may change the text above from time to time in its sole discretion. Publisher agrees to update the text upon CodeFuel’s written request.
Review Process: Please note that each Approved Application you request to distribute with a CodeFuel Search URL will be reviewed to ensure that the Approved Application and its’ features are in compliance with these guidelines and additional guidelines that are incorporated in your agreements with CodeFuel. You may check the status of the review process through your account manager.
Last update: April 2020